Our History

Flags

Through the years, St. Mary’s Catholic Church has charted three different Boy Scout Troops.  The first two troops were charted in the 1920’s and were Troop 9 and 10.  In 1965, Troop 20 was first organized and chartered but lasted only for a year.  The current Troop 20 re-organized and became chartered in 1968.

Since 1968, Troop 20 has seen many changes.  From 1968 thru 1973 Troop 20 was part of the Chief Shabbona District of the Corn Belt Council.  Summer Camp was held at Camp Heffernan at Lake Bloomington, and the O.A Lodge was #43 Potawatomi.  In 1973 four Councils combined to create the W.D. Boyce Council.  Summer Camp moved to Camp Ingersoll by London Mills, Illinois and the O.A. Lodge changed its name to #23 Wenasa Quenhotan.

Throughout its’ history, Troop 20 has had a variety of camp-outs and high adventure trips.  The has troop participated in Spring, Fall and Winter Camporees held at various locations throughout central Illinois.  Troop 20’s High adventure trips have included, Cache Lake Camp in Canada, Philmont in New Mexico, Sea Base in Florida, Backpacking in the Smokey Mountains and Shawnee National Forest, and canoeing in the boundary waters between the US and Canada.

To help support the troop in its’ activities, we hold an annual pancake and sausage breakfast in March.  This breakfast started in 1970 as a one day event. The breakfast grew so popular, that in the early 1990’s a Saturday night was added.  After three years it was decided to hold the breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday from 6:30 am to 1:00 P.M.

Scoutmasters:  Frank Beck and Phil Hamm
Committee Chair:  Bob Clark

Interested in finding out more about Troop 20?  Or to join Troop 20?  CONTACT US to get more information.